Friday 10 April 2020

The winter of my discontent

"The winter of our discontent" was made noteworthy and kind of famous, first by William Shakespeare and then by John Steinback. This is the winter of my discontent too. As I write I am down from Inuvik to Yellowknife for my monthly Nivo immunotherapy.

Today, April 09, it is snowing in Yellowknife, and I am wearing a urine bag and a catheter. So, in fact, I would call this the winter of my soul. Life has become cold and listless. Perhaps by writing here I can get my mind and emotions back on track. The catheterization came about because I guess for years I have not been able to empty my bladder and the pressure of the full bladder all the time was in fact causing the severe pain in the tumor on my sacrum. Now I only have to take a pain pill once or twice a day. Sandra is hoping, by us switching to a totally non-inflammatory diet, essentially a vegan diet, I can shrink the three tumors on my spine. So, fewer hydromorthine pain pills and I bet my brain will clear and I will be more like my old self.

Well, now the next day April 10, the sun is shining in a bright blue sky here in Yellowknife, and my optimism is certainly coming back. And it was so good to get a good night's sleep now that the bladder problems have disappeared.

I hope I am not repeating myself here. I am in a highest risk category for COVID 19, being Stage 4 cancer with a compromised immune system and 79+ years of age, and so Sandra and I stay completely at home these days. Our friend Chris in Inuvik gets our groceries, mail, and drug store stuff. One scary thing is that there are only 3 ventilators at Inuvik hospital and I am not top priority to receive one because of my Stage 4 cancer and age. So I have to really take personal care to stay alive.

Back to Inuvik tomorrow. I will send my next post from home.



4 comments:

  1. Hi, it sounds like Sandra's cooking and the catheter have really done wonders with your recooperative powers. You really come back quick. Thumbs up. I was on a catheter after bladder surg., in my early 30 s for three weeks. I got hooked on it. Literally and in my head. You be careful not to do that. But for now. hurrah for the catheter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larna, and yes the catheter has made my life much easier overall. And I will be wearing it for about 4 weeks.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a low point, but if you're anything like me, emotions have been up and down over the past month. Having your world turned upside down will do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am on an emotion roller coaster no doubt. And it is the upside down loops that are the worst!! A very long month - wondering whether COVID 19 is going to hit Inuvik.

    ReplyDelete