Thursday 2 April 2020

The COVID 19 epidemic continues to rise - FAST

Happy Thursday. Our self isolation ended last Sunday. We tried to take a drive to Tuk on Sunday, but the road was closed to normal traffic when we wanted to go.

Well, we now have one COVID 19 case in Inuvik, but that person is self-isolating so no spread here. However, I am taking much more precautions. I am not going to go out, except in car. At 79 and counting, with a compromised immune system due to cancer, chemo, and pain drugs, I am a prime candidate for testing positive to the virus and dying of pneumonia.

Country-wide, according to today's New York Times, Canada has only 109 deaths, doubling every 4 days. the US on the other hand has 5,708 deaths, doubling every 3 days. We intend to tell our Illinois friends to be more careful because the state of Illinois already has 152 deaths, doubling every 2 days! Note that Illinois has almost 50% more deaths than the country of Canada. People in the US really don't want to stay home. I think it was California that hasn't even closed it's public beaches. The NY Times showed a beach really quite well populated.

I have great news! Great for me anyway. I have been on the board of a high tech company in the nuclear industry for the past about 15 years. The day before yesterday my phone rang late morning and it was the board Chair of that company. He offered me a contract (accepted of course) to tackle an engineering problem related to his company's power plant design. Why me? Because we have developed considerable trust over the years. And he hired me knowing that my short-term memory and some cognitive ability has suffered because of chemo and pain drugs. So I am quite delighted.

My required engineering texts are in a rented storage unit in Yellowknife, and they are all 40 or more years out of date. So I bought 2 books through Indigo-Chapters on line. One of them has already shipped, on Engineering Mathematics, but it is not the one I need the most, on Thermodynamics and Fluid Flow Dynamics as applied to power systems. My specialties in engineering have always been thermodynamics (the study of thermal energy in all its forms) and fluid mechanics (looking at how fluids, liquids or gases, flow in systems we use every day or in power plants).

I would like to think that this pandemic will bring people together in a helpful community-oriented way in the western world. However I was disappointed to learn, again from today's NY Times online that last month, March 2020, resulted in the second-highest month every for personal gun sales in the US. That doesn't bode for being helpful and community-oriented! Also, Dr Anthony Fauci, President Trump's medical adviser is getting death-threats. It is amazing that there are folks in the US, the fastest growing country for COVID 19 cases, who simply want everyone back to work to kick-start the economic engine, regardless of the threat to human health.

A good friend of mine is of the opinion that this pandemic will bring about a reset to society in the western world. It seems to me that it is really a boon for communication industries, since whole conferences are now planned using Zoom-related technology.

3 comments:

  1. Keep me posted on the project dad. I’m so Interested. What’s the book that you ordered? I’m curious to know what you need to redesign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to compare the efficiencies of steam turbines to produce power and community/industrial heat and toluene turbines, and the efficiency of Toluene which is a chemical that vaporizes when heated such that when passed through a turbine it is at much lower pressure than steam used for the same purpose. And I need to look at all aspects of economic returns and recommend ond or the other.

      Delete
    2. I'm really not as mixed up as that reply implies!!!LOL

      Delete