Wednesday 10 February 2016

Encouraging healing and recovery from clear cell renal carcinoma cancer

Dear friends and readers. Just to let you know I have done some editing of earlier blogs to mention the 10s of folks that came to visit me in hospital before and after the Dec 6 operation. I have tried to name most of them, but there were others that my hazy memory simply won't pull up. The anesthesia and post op drugs really did a number on my memory. If you were there and your name isn't mentioned, please include that in a blog comment.

The problem I have now is to discern what in my lifestyle and nutrition changes since the operation, and what other factors, may have contributed to the cancer shrinking. Whatever I do has to take into account that I have only one kidney now that is not behaving quite normally and might be susceptible to further stress regarding waste elimination.

First of all, there is the fact that the cancerous left kidney, with a tumour nearly the size of the kidney itself was removed, thus removing the original source of cancer. Maybe that would slow the cancer growth. But what would cause it to recede? That very seldom happens, but it has happened to me! All things are possible, even if some of them are not probable.

Before I get into nutrition and alternative medicine, I want to mention briefly the experience of two good friends. One is my friend Bill in Yellowknife who about 25 years ago or so had a cancerous kidney removed and the cancer never returned and he is fine to this day. Another is my cousin Aleta who lives just south of Ottawa, who had leukemia that was progressing so fast that she was sent home for her last days by her doctors who felt there was nothing they could do. That is about 30 years ago now I think. But Aleta did use nutrition and alternative medicine to completely beat the leukemia. More about that later.

I should also point out in defense of alternative medicine that my life long companion Sandra owes her life to a naturopath in Yellowknife. The medical profession over a period of about 15 years (Ottawa, Sherwood Park, Yellowknife) watched her liver enzymes climb and, finding out that she has consumed no alcohol for the past 29 years, simply said we will have to monitor it. When pushed, our family doctor in Yellowknife admitted that the last patient with these symptoms had died of liver cancer! Finally the suggestion was made to try a naturopath. Sandra then consulted with Dr Nicole Redvers, a very knowledgeable naturopath in Yellowknife, who proceeded on the basis of special blood tests to identify a number of food allergies, especially eggs, milk protein (not lactose), corn, almonds, and spelt. In a very few weeks after minimizing and in some cases eliminating foods containing these substances, all of Sandra's liver enzymes but one returned completely to normal ranges. The one that is still high is not dangerously high and need not be treated. As a result Sandra's physical health has improved tremendously in many ways over he past 1 1/2 years.

We found out from the medical professionals at the Cross Cancer Institute that the treatments provided by newly developed drugs for cancer are based on the premise of boosting the immune system, allowing the body to kill cancer cells in a somewhat similar way as it would a normal infection. For example, had I been prescribed Sunitinib (Sutent) that is exactly how it would have worked, to boost my natural immunity allowing my own body to "interfere with the growth and spread of cancer cells," as an Alberta Health Services handout for Sunitinib points out.

More specifically as a paper by Terme et al mentions: "Sunitinib treatment enhances the functional capacity of tumor infiltrating T cells" (Modulation of Immunity by Antiangiogenic Molecules in Cancer, Clinical and Developmental Immunology, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 492920, 8 pages (http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/492920)). See Modulation of immunity by antiangiogenic molecules in cancer These T cells are killers for tumour cells. T cells are lymphocytes of a type produced in the thymus that participate actively in the immune response.

One problem that arises is that both aging and malnutrition reduce thymus ability to assist immunity. Apparently zinc is required to boost thymus health. Malnutrition with Zinc deficiency causes thymic atrophy apparently. Red meats and seafood contain much more zinc than vegetables. Aha, bring on the ribs and steak!!

My next blogs will look further at nutritional aspects affecting the immune system.

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear all this, David! You are on the right track!

    Actually, I did have three courses of intravenous chemo drugs, each followed by a protracted hospital stay in isolation while my stem cells regrew and my immunity climbed back up. It was after I had completed this three-part treatment program over several months, and had enough white cells to be discharged from hospital, that my naturopath saved my life.

    They sent me home with an undiagnosable, untreatable lung infection. I was feverish, with a swollen liver, and steadily losing weight. In desperation I went to the local naturopath. Muscle testing, corroborated with a Vega machine, diagnosed food sensitivities (primarily wheat and dairy). I was to avoid many foods that I'd eaten a lot of, as well as introducing a greater variety of vegetables and alternative grains into my diet. I was also to strictly avoid sugar in all forms.

    With the addition of digestive enzymes, nutritional supplements, and regular appointments for massage, reflexology, and acupressure treatments, I soon began to regain my health. Within a year I was healthier than I'd been in over ten years. The Leukemia never relapsed, and it's been 25 years since then. Aside from having slightly lower than normal numbers of white cells in my blood (due to the aggressive chemo scarring my marrow) I'm a healthy, busy, and happy 64 year old.... and looking forward to reading further updates on your own recovery and road to better health, David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for setting the story straight Aleta. Anyway it does seem that your own immune system defeated the leukemia in the end, would you agree?

    ReplyDelete