Wednesday 18 March 2020

Keep Calm and Carry On

I sit here with the soft snowflakes drifting down this cozy winter evening. A tremendous amount of snow this winter and my shoveling capacity physically is close to zero, so we have hired that work out a couple of times, and more to go, to keep our walk and driveway navigable.

I have always admired the British government for their attitude all through World War 2. Hence the title of my post as it relates both to the COVID 19 pandemic and my personal war to win the fight against cancer.

Thanks to all my dear friends for their comments at the end of my blog posts. you all mean a huge lot to me. Writing this blog certainly helps keep up my spirits for the health battle ahead. Although I am so fortunate to find myself very healthy in all other non-cancerous respects, and although I am in remission, the specter of Cancer, the big C, continues to dog me day and night. The drugs still make me very tired, but that is mitigated to some extent on days that I can get 10 hours of sleep or more. So I am not allowed to forget that although I have won a major battle, the cancer war is still on!

The coronavirus pandemic has resulted in all professional things I had hoped to be involved in as related to permafrost engineering and talks at conferences, etc have been cancelled. Fortunately I only had one air travel booked and paid for, Air North return flight to Whitehorse in mid April. Air North would not give me a refund but rather simply put me payment amount into an account that I can use next time I book.

What do you think about this idea? The world is full of anger and misunderstanding and cultural battles, etc etc. This COVID 19 pandemic might just bring people together to fight a common enemy, an enemy that threatens to destroy the health of thousands all over the world. It will hopefully make us all more caring, more sharing, more neighborly.

At my ripe old age of 79 1/2 I am in one high risk segment, so I am being encouraged to stay home, and not to wander around town unless it is absolutely necessary. Sandra's boss Cynthia saw me in the hospital cafeteria yesterday and mentioned to Sandra that I should not come to the hospital unless absolutely necessary. Which is good advice especially considering that to some extent the hospital is a disease collecting facility as well as a disease treatment facility.

It is strange, waiting for the corornavirus storm to hit. It makes me feel like it did at home on the farm with a hailstorm and dark clouds on the horizon. Waiting and wondering when and where it would hit. Not if but when. 

That's all for now folks. I hope you all stay healthy. I guess we can't all stay one metre away from each other, or we will get pretty lonely at times!!

2 comments:

  1. It’s better safe than sorry. Since the corona virus lives on surfaces, we must act like every surface has it. I have been holed up in my tiny apartment, afraid that having anemia and corona virus at the same time could kill me. No venturing out in Ottawa! Stay home and stay sad dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David and Sandra. To be sure you both have interesting lives. Energy is apparent. Joy is a constant even though a bit up and down, but always there. Thank you for sharing. Good Luck with your new venture in your Field. Loved that you give books away and keep your Library from over flowing. : ) All the Very BEST.

    ReplyDelete