Wednesday 9 September 2020

An unexpected Urinary Tract Infection infection nearly brings life to an end

 The week of July 12 will be indelibly recorded in memory. Not my memory you understand. I have just been talking to Anne and Sandra to understand the sequence of events - because my memory of the way things happened leaves much just hanging. I don't know if it is the drugs or the side effects of the infection, but my memory now is much worse than it was before July 12.  

Unknown to Sandra and me, I was developing a bladder infection. We had pizza with a friend on the evening of Friday, July 10. Right in the middle of supper, after only one piece of pizza, I wasn't feeling well. I went to the bathroom and began to pass out. I was shortly taken by ambulance to Inuvik Hospital.

The bladder infection very soon started to get worse and I began to go into shock, rapidly affecting my cardio-vascular system, and my blood pressure continued to drop, to the point where the Inuvik Regional Hospital kindly requested my family to come, because I was dying. 

Sandra called my daughter Anne in Vietnam and told her what was happening; Anne decided to come home, and she arrived here in Inuvik on July 23. I was getting better, and she drove by the hospital so that I could give her a wave at the window of my hospital room. I was in recovery by then, and I was shortly able to be discharged. Anne and her friend Laura have kept me company from time to time, when they are available,

Life since then has been ok, but I have not been feeling well really. I am on a lot of drugs just to keep me going. Home Care drops in twice a day while Sandra is at work to make sure that I am all right. 

Well folks, I will let this do for now. Except to mention that I am to be put on another drug to bring about better pain control. My pain is greater than can be completely eliminated by the present prescription. So there we are.

4 comments:

  1. Oh David; to hear this on your birthday is even more distressing! I will pray for you my dear friend and brother in Christ. Grateful that your homefront force continues to battle, reinforce and comfort. To Sandra; prayers for your strength. You and David are precious to me. David, I hope that you enjoy your celebration even so. God Bless. God draw near, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning dear David Malcolm; hoping you have a better day today and then tomorrow another better day. God Bless. God Bless. Perhaps the wish today is that you can sleep thru this phase of your illness and that a better pain management regime is possible; SOON. Love and Prayers Larna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to David and Sandra Malcolm on this Thurs. Dec. 31 2020. Many blessings to be breathless about, because it could be different. Now, I'd like to wish you two continued nearness of our Heavenly Father in Heaven. Thank you for your friendship. With Love fr. larna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the sad duty to inform readers that David Malcolm passed away this morning, March 9, just after midnight at the Inuvik hospital. He had been admitted a few weeks ago for pain management, after the decision had been made to stop treatments last month.

    I spoke with him last week, and the pain was under control. There were plans to move him to a facility where he could have 24-hour care, providing much-needed respite to his wife, Sandra, and daughter Lynn and Anne who had been helping out so much.

    On Friday, he had a fall in the night and was in and out on consciousness since.

    He will be missed by many, and equaled by none.

    ReplyDelete