Wednesday 17 January 2018

The delay tactics of radiation and immunotherapy

Radiation is very debilitating, complete with nausea and total loss of appetite. However the good news is that as the 2 1/2 weeks of radiation took place pain got less and less. However, according to the oncologists, radiation doesn't in any way cure cancer - it simply slows its growth.

Following the radiation immunotherapy was prescribed, through a drug called Sutent (Sunitinib) which prevents blood vessels from forming to nourish tumours. However, that too just delays the inevitable. Sometimes the metastasized kidney cancer simply takes off and grows with renewed vigour after being held back.

Another strange thing is that the renal cell carcinoma preferentially attacks bone when it metastasizes. So that is why the three tumours that I am fighting are attacking the base of my skull, and the vertebrae in the lumbar and sacrum areas. Fortunately the cancer doesn't prefer to attack the spinal cord, so I don't need to worry about being wheelchair-bound.

The conclusion is that through the natural healing processes I have talked about in previous posts must be brought forward immediately with renewed vigour. I did meet with our naturopathic doctor in Yellowknife during the first week of January, and she is waiting to see what the next CT scan at the end of my first 28 day Sutent regime shows regarding where the tumours are at. The Sutent immunotherapy treatment is 50mg per day for 28 days, then 14 days off, then 28 days again, with a CT scan at the end of the first cycle.

I have had an interesting time working on a small project in Aklavik this week. But I will be stopping that work to reduce stress when I return to Inuvik at the end of the week. I must now concentrate on exercising all of the natural healing protocols that kept me alive for the first two years.

After all, folks who have a cancer-ridden kidney removed when the cancer has already spread to Stage 4 (as mine was) usually only have a few months to live, whereas I have survived more than two years to this date. So I must have been doing something right, and I intend to beat this thing with all the tools at my disposal. Of course I must depend upon the guidance of my loving Creator as I move forward.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're focusing on healing, Daddy! God's guidance is especially important right now, and we're praying really hard for you and Mom!

    - Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynnie. We need all the help we can get. I am writing another blog today, about sometimes the cure seems worse than the disease.

      Delete